Tuesday, February 26, 2008

SHOCKING NEWS!! BUT SHOULD IT BE?

Another late post. I apologize for the lateness of the hour, but hey, I'm here now! I received an email today from an online friend of mine. She has a friend who is 47 years old and had suffered a mild heart attack. Needless to say, my friend was shocked. But should she have been?

I don't know anything about the woman. The only thing my friend had said was that the woman had been the person everyone went to when they needed something done. This tells me this was one busy lady.

But what were the factors that put her at risk? Let's examine a few below:

Does she smoke?

Is she overweight?

Does she do a sedintary type of job?

Does she have a family history of heart disease?

Was her cholesterol high?
Is she stressed?

These are just a few of the risk factors that face women. And actually, women in general are at a higher risk than men right now for heart disease. I'll touch on more about heart disease when my book is closer to it's launch date. My hero, Dr. Stone Lassiter is a heart surgeon, so I wanted to go over heart disease in deeper depth here on my blog.


If you're a woman and have any of the risk factors above, be sure and check with your doctor to see how you can decrease your risk of heart attack. Or, check out the American Heart Association's website for further information.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was a surprise to me when, thanks to an observant doctor, I ended up in the hospital and heart bypass at 45! no attack, but I'm sure that could have been coming.

Yeah, I have a long list of contributing factors but didn't realized the extent of the family connection until AFTER. This is definitely something everyone should be aware of.

intersting thing--my grandfather went to the hospital the same day for heart stuff of a different kind. With no previous thoughts of doing so.(he ended up with a pacemaker) He's 100 now and still going pretty strong. So I guess there's hope for me yet. LOL

thanks for all your helpful, healthful information!

Unknown said...

WOW! Bypass at age 45! That is a shocker. See? That is why it is important to keep informed! Take care of yourself.